Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Super Easy Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup (celebrating an awesome run)!)

Ran my best paced training run today in a few months with my strength and running coach, Jenny Palamar, along with her husband Mark and friend Lisa.  Today was the fastest I've run since the beginning of June.  It felt so good that I was inspired to make some soup today.  I'm still unsure as to why soup is on my mind almost constantly in this sweltering heat (probably one of  the hottest mornings we've had in recent memory as far as humidity is concerned).  94 is the high today?  What is this guy thinking?  Well, I've always wanted to dabble in sweet potato soup, and I got it right on the first try.  Here's the recipe:

What you will need:
3 pounds of sweet potatoes skinned and sliced in food processor (or cubed by hand)
1 pound of carrots peeled and chopped
1 medium sweet yellow onion (vidalias are my favorite) diced
64 oz of broth (veggie or chicken)
ground tumeric
ground ginger
ground cinammon
garlic powder
sea salt
pepper (black or white..if you don't like seeing black flecks in your soup, then use white! hahah)
ground nutmeg
two large soup pots
blender
food processor

1. sautee diced onions in one of the pots adding spices to taste (pepper, garlic, salt etc.) until soft and slightly         golden brown
2. combine following ingredients to onions: sweet potatoes, carrots, and chicken broth.  Stir.
3. I didn't measure spices, but did shake both tumeric and ginger shakers over the entire surface of the soup.
4. Add cinammon---going to say about a tablespoon?
5. Add about a teaspoon of nutmeg
6. Bring all to a boil on high heat then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Allow to rest/cool for a few minutes
8. In batches, pour soup into blender but do not blend too much soup at once--hot stuff!
9.  Blend until extremely smooth.  Add each portion of soup to other pot you've set aside from the beginning (2 pots necessary for this one, remember!)
10.  Should have a very thick consistency.  Definitely a spoon needer!!! If thinner soup is desired, add coconut milk, regular milk, or additional chicken stock at beginning of process or before your next soup experience!

Enjoy!  I really love knowing EXACTLY what I'm eating when I make this kind of thing, especially with ingredients I can actually PRONOUNCE!!  Carrots, sweet potatoes, onion, chicken broth.  Got it!  :)

Now eat some yummy soup, get your butt outside, into that gym, on that bike, in that pool and GETCHUSOMMADAT!!!!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment