Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hitting milestones and not getting knocked out

Greetings from the swamp aka Tampa Bay area of Florida.  It's been raining for 2 days straight, and I wish some of this rain would make its way to Texas where it's actually needed. Anyway, I digress from my much neglected blog.



According to the dictionary, a milestone can be defined as the following:



  • A stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point.


  • An important event, as in a person's career, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point.


  • Hitting milestones and not getting knocked out
    I will address both definitions because I have reached both in recent weeks.  

    Last week, I logged my most miles running (broke 30 miles for the first time in my life).  A mile marker or milestone for sure.  Within the last few weeks I have run 3 trail runs through sand, dirt, mud, and water.  A milestone?  Sure!  Each had a mileage attached to it (10, 5, and 11, respectively).  This is certainly a milestone in my current training for the Savannah Marathon in November!  Yess!
    Trail running will become a major part of my running life after spending 11 miles on the trails at Croom State Park in Brooksville, Florida on Sunday.  Here are some amazing photos of this amazing trail:




    Here's a video of the 16 mile race at Croom that I will be running in October as a preparation for my marathon!



                                                                                           


    The video doesn't show the amazing hills that make up the last few miles of the orange trail which consists, I believe, of one of the highest elevations in all of Florida (the regulars call it Croom Mountain)--all of about 130 feet in elevation, but in flat Florida, it looks like a mountain!  My favorite area is called the Pit, which is a sharp descent into a giant, well, Pit..and an immediate run up a steeper section to get out of said pit.  I enjoyed every second of this run, and I really wanted to do some more miles when I completed the eleven mile loop because it was so beautiful (this could have been a result of dehydration, but I still can't be sure of this..haha).  What an amazing place, and I can't wait to go back.




    Onto milestone number 2.  After working with my personal trainer, Jenny Palamar, for about ten weeks of high intensity circuit weight training, and 4 or so runs per week, I went shopping today.  Yes, I shop, but usually not for clothes.  On this occasion, I needed a pair or two of new jeans and some shirts.  Well, much to my surprise and happiness, my waist is now the smallest it has been since I was a teenager.  When I got to high school, I wore a 34 inch waist.  Before that, it was just medium, large, extra large youth sizes.  Today, my friends, I am in size 30 waist straight leg jeans...not relaxed fit as I have been in since high school.  Regular cut, people, and in athletic cut and fitted shirts.  Un.be.lie.ve.a.ble.  This marks an amazing turning point in my life of health and fitness (I am even going to have to buy a smaller hydration belt!!).  I haven't bought new clothes for myself in about two years (yes, I need a new wardrobe now...oh, shucks)!  Elizabeth and I have decided that a lifestyle of mostly "clean" non-processed foods is the key to a successful health and fitness journey.  This milestone not only helps me physically, but also in my career as more and more casting decisions are based upon lookism.  It is a sad truth, but real.  If you're not in shape and sing just as well as someone else, but they are in amazing shape, guess who gets the job??


    Another milestone happened recently as well.  My cholesterol level is down from 195 two years ago before I seriously got into training and eating properly to 147 two or so weeks ago.  There is a correlation, people.  Look into it!


    So, tomorrow, I strap on my new gps training watch, my newish sneakers and one of my not-so-loose-anymore running shirts to take the next steps towards my ultimate goals which includes a 16 mile trail race, a 26.2 mile marathon,  half ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run), and eventually to the pinnacle of all craziness the full ironman triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run).  Building and maintaining lean muscle mass is going to be the key to my success in all of these important milestones.  


    Until the next milestone, folks, get out there, move that body, pedal that bike, swim in that ocean, or pump that iron and GETCHUSOMMADAT!!!!!!!

    3 comments:

    1. Congratulations on reaching several milestones this month! You have been working hard, and when you put in a great effort, you will get great results. Keep enjoying your journey!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you, coach! I act as if I'm complaining from time to time, but you know I love every minute of this process! Thank you for your friendship, support, and motivation (especially what you have given Elizabeth, as well)!!! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Awesome milestones! Keep up the good work!

      ReplyDelete