Tuesday, June 28, 2011

There's a first time for everything, I suppose.......

Wow, I'm blogging.  So, what do I do now?  Those of you that know me realize that I am never short of words to say, but this, somehow, seems different.  This is kind of surreal, but I think that as communication is one of my strengths (thank you Clifton StrengthsFinder 2.0:  http://www.strengthsfinder.com/home.aspx) that I will now begin the process of unloading all of the stuff that's up in my head here rather than upon my loved ones, especially Elizabeth, my wife of over 15 years.  She's kind of heard it all, so I'm going to unload thoughts, musings, fitness ramblings, strategies, and other nuggets of information that will help me but also may help others as they journey through life's weird twists and turns.


I am a singer, performer, teacher, athlete, husband, and doggie and kittie daddy.  This is what I do for a living and what I do in my life.  


I'm hoping that this blog will give me the outlet that I need to communicate rather than burdening others with what's going on professionally and in my fitness journey.  All this stuff needs to get out of my head or I'll go nuts, so this may be the place.  Let's hope so!


I've been singing and teaching for the past 15 years or so in a private studio based out of my home(a very nice sized studio of singers of all walks of life) and singing regionally and locally (meaning smaller, well-paying gigs) in opera, musical theater, and concert work.  I have a graduate degree in voice/opera from Rice University and an undergraduate degree in voice from Florida Southern College.


I started on this singer as athlete kick only about three years ago when I took up running after a very long hiatus after a calf strain in 2003 and a stress fracture in 2008.  I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a child until last year (2010), and I hadn't swum in a pool since childhood until 2008. Since I began training in all three sports, I have done two Olympic distance triathlons (last November and this past May), I have completed running races in 5k, 10k, and half marathon distances, I will run my first marathon in the next year, and then I will hopefully complete a full ironman triathlon in the next few years.


The place I am now is nowhere near where I was even just three short years ago.  I almost quit singing and teaching because I couldn't handle severe anxiety that had been plaguing me since childhood.  Running, swimming, biking, personal training, and nutrition have saved my career and my mental health.  I could have asked for no greater gift, so if I can give back to the Universe for this gift, I will do it in any way I can--this being an interestingly easy way to do it. 


My goal (now that I've thought about it) for this blog is to share my story of health and fitness as it relates to my singing, teaching, and performing in this absolutely crazy business.  It certainly takes a bit of craziness or just stubbornness to stay on this career path, but somehow I've survived.  Without fitness as a balance, I think I could have bought a first class ticket to the "funny farm" years ago. 


It's probably going to be some sort of place for me to post musings and observations, but I really want to help other singers who struggle with the same sorts of life/performance anxiety that I had to go through and continue to have to deal with on a daily basis.  Who knows what the future will bring for the Teaching Singer/Athlete blog...


Until we meet again, friends, colleagues, supporters, and detractors (haha)!!


Now, go outside and GETCHUSOMMADAT!

5 comments:

  1. Nice post, but I think you made an error? Because I thought you already were on the funny farm. :P

    Just kidding, I will enjoy following your training and musings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to what I know will be a wonderful blog! It can be a wonderful venue for doing exactly what you hope to do! I look forward to following along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you're blogging, Chrissy! It's fun and it is a GREAT way just to get all the stuff in your head out and written down somewhere! I, too, shall enjoy reading and following along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Identify yourself, Mrs. Opera! Doc Hibbs?? Maleia?? Only a few...ahem...select folks can call me Chrissy..;) lolol.

    ReplyDelete